There are over 65 million Americans who have an incurable Sexually Transmitted Infection. STIs can be transmitted through semen, vaginal secretion, and sometimes saliva. Protection should be used during any and all sexual activity including vaginal, anal, and oral sex.
The only time you should EVER not use protection is if you and your partner are monogamous, have been STI screened together, and if you are heterosexual, are either ready for children or are on some form of birth control. Any physician can perform an STI screen.
If you are not comfortable with your regular doctor doing so, any health clinic can also perform the screen. Most insurance plans cover these tests and they are also offered free at some clinics. Many STIs can be cured, but in order to treat them and prevent passing them to someone else, you need to know you have it.
A sheath made of latex or polyurethane that is placed on the penis
- Manufactured in different materials
- Different shapes and sizes to accommodate all penises
- Available pre-lubricated with water or silicone based product. Condoms lubricated with silicone based lubes are the best option for anal sex
- Come in different flavors, great for oral sex
- Available in thicker and thinner varieties
- May come with ribs or bumps to enhance sexual stimulation
- Single use, a new condom must be used every time you have sex even if in the same session
- 98% effective against pregnancy when used properly
- Only birth control method to prevent against STIs
- (Including gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV and trichomoniasis)
- Reduces the risk of genital herpes, syphilis, and human papillomavirus (HPV), but only when the infected areas are covered or protected by the condom.
- May cause an allergic reaction
- Not as effective against pregnancy as latex condoms
- Protects against STIs
Alternative for those with a latex allergy
- As effective against pregnancy when used properly as latex condoms
- Does not protect against STIs
- Alternative for those with a latex allergy
A sheath, with a slightly different shape—two flexible rings on each end, one open, one closed. The closed ring is inserted into the vagina, and the open ring stays on the outside of the vagina. The female condom has the same benefits as the male latex condom, though is not available in as many varieties.
A thin square of latex that can be used to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted infections during oral sex on a female.
The dental dam is placed over a woman’s vulva before her partner performs oral sex on her, and acts as a barrier between her partner’s mouth and her genitals. This helps to prevent sexually transmitted infections from spreading. They can also be used by men or women to prevent STIs while “rimming,” which is oral sex, performed on a partner’s anus.
Performing oral sex on a woman carries lower STI risks than vaginal sex, anal sex or performing oral sex on a man, but there are still risks of transmitting several STIs. Rimming, by contrast, is much more dangerous, as it carries STI risks (including a risk of Hepatitis A), and can cause several other illnesses because of bacteria or parasite infections.
Some common complaints about condoms:1.) “I’m allergic to latex.”
– Most companies offer a polyurethane version of condoms.
2.) “Condoms are uncomfortable” – Men
– If a condom is uncomfortable it is most likely because it is not the right fit for you. While your local drugstore may only offer a few different types, Hustler Hollywood offers a HUGE variety of condoms. Our staff can help you to find the right fit for you.
3.) “I can’t feel anything.” – Men & Women
– There are many super thin condoms on the market to make the experience almost as pleasurable as not wearing anything. Also, condoms come in textures or shapes that actually intensify stimulation during sex. You can find ones with more room at the tip for better stimulation on the head of the penis, or ones with ridges and bumps to enhance stimulation for women.
4.) “Putting on a condom kills the mood.” – Men & Women
– Have fun with it! Put the condom on as you masturbate your guy, or apply it with your mouth.